The Firewood Company is best know for bundles of firewood. Our firewood bundles are designed to be easy to pick up and transport. Firewood bundles are also an easy way to package and store firewood for your wood-burning needs. We offer bundles for residential and commercial customers. Contact us for wholesale opportunities. 262.898.9663
How to build foolproof wood fires
1. The function of the kindling fire is to quickly heat up the chimney and the brick and steel of the firebox to create the environment for a stable, brightly burning fire, without having to open the loading door several times to adjust it.
2. The edges of firewood pieces heat up and ignite first. The more edges close together in your kindling fire, the faster it will ignite. Unsplit rounds should not be used when starting a fire because they don’t have edges.
3. Softer woods like pine, cedar, spruce and poplar make better kindling than harder woods because they are easier to split up fine and they light more readily.
4. Logs from which kindling is split can be cut as short as six inches to make splitting and fire building easier. Straight grain conifers like cedar and pine work well as kindling.
5. Before building a fire, remove excess ash from the firebox; never let ash build up to more than two inches.
6. Open the air control(s) fully and open the bypass damper if the appliance has one.
7. When building a kindling fire, avoid a structure that collapses, smothering a struggling fire. Following are two popular approaches to avoiding the collapsed kindling fire.
8. Two parallel logs: Place two split logs parallel to each other in the firebox with a space between. Fill the space with newspaper and fine kindling and place several larger kindling pieces crosswise on top. Light the paper.
9. Top down fire: Place a layer of standard firewood pieces first, a few pieces of heavy kindling next, and finally, fine kindling. Roll up single sheets of newspaper corner to corner, tie a loose knot in each and place four or five on top of or in front of the kindling. Light the paper. This type of kindling fire can provide two or more hours of effective heating without having to open the door to add wood or adjust the fire.
10. Leave combustion air inlets wide open at least until the firebox is full of flame and the wood is charred black and the edges are glowing red.